Who we are & what we do
Ticknall is often referred to as the 'jewel in South Derbyshire's crown'. Its warm toned buildings and stone walls built in limestone and Ticknall brick are a feature in the village.
The old village of Tichenhalle is mentioned in the Domesday Book and probably existed in Anglo-Saxon times. Ticknall was the estate village to Calke Abbey owned by the Harpur-Crewe family, until the abbey was taken over by The National Trust. Ticknall reached its heyday in the 19th century when the population reached 1500, which is approximately twice what it is today.
Near the entrance to Calke Abbey is the tramway bridge (the arch, as it is know locally), which is now a Grade II listed structure. There is also a tramway tunnel, almost 140 yards in length, under the drive to Calke Abbey. The National Trust restored it in the 1990s and it can be traversed on foot. It was built in 1802 to carry the former Ticknall Tramway and subsequently connect the brickyards and limeyards around the village to the Ashby canal.
The village boasts three pubs, The Wheel Inn, The Staff of Life and the Chequers Inn. The latter dates from the 17th century. On the lanes throughout the village can be found several water pumps (known locally as the Ticknall Taps). These were introduced into the village around 1914 by Sir Harpur Crewe to provide fresh water. Several of these unusual pumps still work and are still used by walkers.
The Parish Council:
Parish Councils are the first tier of local government and the closest to the community they serve. They are elected bodies with discretionary powers and rights to represent their communities and provide services for them. The number of councillors is fixed by the local District or Borough Council.
In Ticknall, we manage The Grange recreation ground and pavilion, maintain public footpaths and some other public areas, we vet and comment on planning proposals, and we carry out other duties in the village where we share responsibility with South Derbyshire District Council,
Ticknall is served by 6 parish councillors and 1 clerk. The Clerk is a paid officer of the council and it is the Clerk's responsibility to action decisions made by the Parish Council.
A list of our councillors along with contact information and which committees they are on.
We have a dedicated parish clerk. She can be contacted by phone or email. If you have a problem to report, this can also be done online.